Re: Ambient light API redesign

From: Olli Pettay <olli@pettay.fi>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 15:10:47 +0300
To: Tobie Langel <tobie.langel@gmail.com>
CC: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>, Tim Volodine <timvolodine@google.com>, Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>, Anssi Kostiainen <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>, public-script-coord <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Doug Turner <dougt@mozilla.com>, Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
On 09/08/2014 03:00 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Olli Pettay <olli@pettay.fi <mailto:olli@pettay.fi>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/08/2014 02:48 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr <mailto:mounir@lamouri.fr> <mailto:mounir@lamouri.fr
>         <mailto:mounir@lamouri.fr>>> wrote:
>
>              On Mon, 8 Sep 2014, at 21:24, Tobie Langel wrote:
>              > Given the requestAnimationFrame use cases exposed by Rick, it seems that
>              > obtaining the Sensor instance immediately is more developer friendly than
>              > getting it through a resolved promise. Especially if numerous sensors
>              > need
>              > to interact.
>
>              ```
>              sensors = null;
>              Promise.all(getSensor1(), getSensor2(), getSensor3()).then(function (s)
>              {
>                 sensors = s;
>              });
>
>              requestAnimationFrame(__function(frame) {
>                 requestAnimationFrame(frame);
>
>                 if (!sensors)
>                   return;
>
>                 [...]
>              });
>              ```
>

>         This prevents displaying any data until all sensors have been provided with an initial value, which is probably not the kind of behavior you want.
>
>         --tobie
>

>     That depends on how we eventually spec Promise should work in browsers. Wasn't the plan at some point to use microtasks?
>     (One of the main goals behind microtasks was to get callbacks to be called asynchronously, but asap, so in practice before rAF callbacks)
>

> That's not what I was getting at. Image any of these promises above get rejected (e.g. disconnected temp sensor, access not granted by user or what
> not). Nothing will be displayed. Similarly, if one of these sensors trigger a user prompt, none of the other's data will be accessible until the user
> grants access to it.
>
> --tobie

I see. If permission is required for many sensors, there sure should be some way to request permission only once.