Re: Ambient light API redesign

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Kostiainen, Anssi
> <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com> wrote:
> > How far are we in terms of getting the needed language-level
> improvements in ES? I guess await and friends is a ES7 feature?
>
> Well promises are here now. The synchronous syntax sugar will come
> later. I used it to show what the code will look like going forward.

Thinking about it some more it should probably be more something like
> getValue() as we want to return a new promise each time.
>

> > Also, this proposal supports N number of sensors of the same type (we
> can pass arguments to the constructor) -- something that the current API
> cannot do.
>
> I suspect we probably still want a constructor per sensor for ease of
> detection, but there could be a generic superclass.

As I've been saying since 2012:

- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Dec/0060.html
- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Dec/0024.html

The `await` example above is completely unnecessary. All of the sensor APIs
that I've been building and designing with have sync accessors for `value`
that simply produce the last reading reported (asynchronously) by whatever
device is being observed. Here's a simulation:
https://gist.github.com/rwaldron/5016343

Rick