Re: Fetch API

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 14:13:35 -0400
To: Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, public-script-coord <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Joshua Bell <jsbell@chromium.org>, Jungkee Song <jungkee.song@samsung.com>, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>, Tobie Langel <tobie.langel@gmail.com>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 6/1/14, 2:06 AM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
> - Named constructors scare me (I can't figure out how to make them work in JavaScript without breaking at least one of the normal invariants). I think a static factory method would make more sense for RedirectResponse.

Or just a constructor overload, if the type of "body" for the existing
constructor can be told apart from a string.  Which may not be the case,
of course.

> - HeaderMap should have a constructor that takes an iterable of [key, value] pairs, in the same way Map does.

So a sequence<sequence<ByteString>> basically, right?  Seems pretty
plausible to me.

> - I like HeaderMap a lot, but for construction purposes, I wonder if a shorthand for the usual case could be provided. E.g. it would be nice to be able to do
>
> fetch("http://example.com", {
>    headers: {
>      "X-Foo": "Bar"

We've had other cases arise where such an "open-ended dictionary"
construct would be useful.  The only difference is that those other
cases wanted string-valued keys while this might want ByteString-valued
ones...

One concern here: is order an issue for headers?  I seem to vaguely
recall that in practice order can matter with some HTTP servers.

-Boris

P.S.  Still reading through; will have feedback of my own in the next
few days.