Re: Figuring out easier readonly interfaces

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights@google.com> wrote:
> You forgot to name the readonly one -- it specializes DOMRect by
> guaranteeing that its instances not provide the ability to mutate the
> underlying DOMRect. Given the other names, DOMRectReadOnly or DOMReadOnlyRec
> (did you really mean to omit the "t"?) seem like fine names for the readonly
> subtype.

In Roc's explanation, the readonly one (you can't change the values,
but something else might be able to) is the common superclass.  As he
argued, I'm pretty sure this satisfies LSP - an immutable class is a
valid subclass of a readonly one (you lose nothing, and gain the
ability to depend on the values staying constant), and a mutable class
is also a valid subclass of a readonly one (again, you lose nothing,
but you gain the abiilty to alter the values yourself).

~TJ