Re: Coordination

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan@secure.meer.net> wrote:
> We need a few people who can drink from a firehose on "all the lists", who
> then bubble issues up to public-script-coord.

I wish I could. The problem is 1) there's many drafts
http://www.w3.org/TR/#tr_Javascript_APIs (not complete), 2) many
different lists because the W3C likes to operate that way and 3) the
people developing the API don't always care about the API as much as
just getting this new platform bit exposed and then move on. There's
no sense of shared responsibility. I don't see an immediate way of
making that better.

Some of us are looking into A) just going through the specifications
and giving concrete actionable feedback, B) figuring out what
high-level advice to give, C) IDL that more strongly encourages
idiomatic JavaScript.

Another problem we have I think (related to 3 above) is that we don't
have sufficient primitives so everyone ends up inventing their own
variant. We have futures now, but we don't really have streams, the
event API is due for an upgrade, the event loop should probably be
exposed to script in some fashion. And resources to work on that kind
of overhaul are scarce.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/