Re: New full Unicode for ES6 idea

I'm not sure what to think about this, being a big fan of the UTF-8
simplicity. :) But anyhow, I like the idea of opt-in, actually so much that
I started thinking, why not make JS be encoding-agnostic?

What I mean here is that maybe we could have multi-charset Strings in JS?
This would be useful especially on the server-side JS. So, what I'm
suggesting is an extension to the String class, maybe defined as follows
(while being just the first thing from the top of my head).

Let's say we have a loadFile function that takes a filename and reads its
contents to a string it returns.

loadFile('my-utf8-file').charset === 'UTF-8'
String(loadFile('my-file'), 'UTF-16').charset === 'UTF-16'
loadFile('my-file').toString('UTF-9').charset === 'UTF-9'
32..toString(10, 'UTF-8').charset === 'UTF-8'

// And hence, we could add easy sugar to the function as well,
loadFile('my-utf8-file', 'UTF-16').charset === 'UTF-16';

What do you think?

Obviously this creates a lot of problems, but backwards compatibility could
(maybe) be preserved without an opt-in, if the default charset would stay
the same.

Cheers,
Jussi