Re: Conflicts between W3C specs and ES5?

On Nov 16, 2009, at 7:51 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:27:14 +0100, Brendan Eich
> <brendan@mozilla.org> wrote:
>> Mozilla turns some bugs into Technology Evangelism bugs instead of
>> slavishly implementing every IE-compatible mistake we can find.

Or Netscape-compatible, which means my fault for JS junk, so I'm not
lamenting mistakes per se (well, apart from mine). Rather the trailing-
edge focus plus over-specification.

>> Yes, this is imperfect and we are obviously also guilty of
>> following extant content instead of leading it. But too much
>> following, and too much over-specifying, and you will paint
>> yourself into a corner.
>>
>> The opportunity cost (that you spend time on trailing edge stuff
>> instead of better leading edge work) is very high too.
>
> Opera has similar evangelism efforts and I'm sure other browser
> teams do too (at the very least Microsoft does). At some point you
> just reach the point where spending some time on defining trailing
> edge stuff outweighs the cost of trying to evangelize each site that
> uses it.

At some point *you* do. So do we, but less so since gaining more
market share starting with Firefox 1 in 2004. Back in 2001 we would
either do what we had to, or wave the standards flag and hang tough at
small-percentage market share numbers.

Market dynamics and content evolution mean that the trailing edge
trails off -- the '90s web does not entirely render compatibly in an
HTML5 UA. We should not over-bias for the past, or we will paint
ourselves (slowly) into corners.

/be