Re: html for scholarly communication: RASH, Scholarly HTML or Dokieli?

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

>  My main point was: I think we need comparative data which we do not
> really have. (Note that I do not have any take in any of these formats,
> i.e., I do not really care which one comes out as the most appropriate
> one!).
>
> That's my position as well.

Here is a very concrete suggestion:

Europe PubMedCentral (http:europepmc.org - disclaimer: I was on the Project
Board for many years) creates semantic versions (in JATS XML) of all Open
Access biomedical papers - runs into several million. All papers are
converted into HTML, effectively independent of the publisher - there is no
lazy JS-based loading - all content is present in a single HTML file. Here
are some examples each from a different publisher:

http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC3915084
http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC3920264
http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC3953398

Note that the output is publishers-independent, clean HTML with tagsets
from JATS, DC etc. Whatever format or tagset is recommended by SH-CG I
would expect it to be a day/weekend's work to write a converter.
Here , for example are some main components:

Metadata (in HEAD)

content="Mycopathologia [2014, 177(1-2)], pp29-39"/><meta
name="dc:identifier"
content="https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24436010"/>

<title>The Influence of Chemical Composition of Commercial Lemon
Essential Oils on the Growth of... - Europe PMC Article - Europe
PMC</title>
and optional style:
<link rel="stylesheet"
href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.4.0/css/font-awesome.min.css">

Main body:

    property="dc:title">The influence of chemical composition of commercial
 lemon essential oils on the growth of Candida strains.</span>

    itemtype="http://schema.org/ScholarlyArticle"><span
style="display:none" property="dc:abstract" datatype="xsd:string"
    itemprop="description">Candida yeasts are saprophytes naturally
by C. albicans.</span><meta itemprop="datePublished"
content="2014/02"/><div id="article_body" itemprop="articleBody">...

IMO that gives us all the semantics we need for biomedical articles. It
uses standards where possible (DC, HTML) and has virtually no cruft. Many
years of work have gone into this and it is almost certainly the largest
body of standard scholarly material in HTML.

The only downside is that it's primarily for biomedical. But I don't see
anything that stops it being used for most other disciplines given that we
know how to link things together now and browsers generally honour this.

As it's portrayed here there are a few chunks that are repository cruft,
not content but the main body will do what we need. I strongly suggest that
we created several SH CG examples from this as it represents real,
forward-looking practice deployed in the field millions of times.

P.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics