Re: html for scholarly communication: RASH, Scholarly HTML or Dokieli?

Hi all;
   I've been eavesdropping with great interest...
And I'm certainly not clear on everybody's goals & use-cases...

But given the variety of author source formats (LaTeX, special systems,
whatever), the variety of "intermediate" targets that Peter mentioned
(JATS, TEI, ...), the variety of presentation styles desired (folks
will want their material to look like it is common in their field,
citation styles, etc; let alone dynamic functionality they may want to
invest in --- CSS only gets you so far), and finally the evolving
nature of the web & devices,
(whew)
I'm a bit leery of being overly prescriptive about exactly how the
HTML itself should be structured, which tags used, etc.
Seems it would limit adoption.

At least, if the goal is to harvest enriched HTML from the wild,
rather than specially-prepared-for-ScholarlyXXX (in which case,
we might as well focus on a few important formats like JATS, TEI).

It would seem more productive to focus on the metadata magic
(RDFa, Aria,...) to indicate the data's meaning & purpose,
rather than to try to make HTML actually semantic after-the-fact.

But perhaps this doesn't work, or serve our collective purposes?
Please enlighten me! :>

bruce