Re: Authoring versus Interchange

Hey,
as someone who has worked on one of the academic authoring tools out there
for a while (Fidus Writer), for a long time I had a hard time understanding
what the difference between interchange and editing format is.

I don't think there needs to be such a clear distinction. The list I sent
over first of "requirements" to such files we have heard repetitively by
different users and potential users is for both. It just states the things
people often need to be able to store -- and therefore previous to that
author -- in such a file.

Now in reality, there is a difference: browser based editors seldom just
have the raw elements with nothing extra in the DOM. But that is generally
not because the editors want to have a distinction between exchange and
edit format, but because there are so many weird bugs and issues with
browser based editors that one needs to add these extra elements so that
the editing experience is more or less acceptable. For example, one often
needs to add extra <span>-elements just so that one can place an element a
specific place or so that the caret moves in a desired way. When saving the
file for interchange, one deletes that span again. Another case we found
with Fidus Writer was that we needed to support sibling text nodes for
collaboration -- and that's not really possible when just using plain HTML
to represent the DOM structure.

In conclusion: yes, let's focus on the interchange here. If we are
successful, and also the editing taskforce is able to work out the issues
there are with editing in browsers, hopefully the two types of formats
don't need to be so different in the future.