Re: Authoring versus Interchange

On 01/12/2015 00:13 , Florian Rivoal wrote:
> I agree, but would like to make one of your semi-implicit points
> fully explicit.
>
> While we should prioritize for interchange over manual authoring when
> there is a conflict, this should not mean that we should attach no
> importance to manual authoring. It is important, and we should make
> sure it is as nice as possible. Being secondary to interchange does
> not make it a non goal.
>
> I would not like to end up in a situation where we have a format that
> works great for interchange but cannot practically be edited by
> hand.
>
> This is not just about catering to people who like vim or emacs best
> as an authoring environment, but also about making sure the format
> remains inspectable, hackable and debuggable without (heavy) tools.
> Having humans form part of the ecosystem the format lives in is much
> healthier.

Absolutely, and thanks a lot for making that extra clear. If we wanted
something solely ideal for interchange, we'd use JSON ;)

Of the many equivalent ways of achieving high quality interchange, we
should always opt for the more authorable. We should have default values
and all the nice things that make this a language that wasn't designed
using XML Schema.

--
• Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon
• http://science.ai/ — intelligent science publishing