Re: representing public schools

This is the good old chicken-vs-egg problem.
When I worked on https://schema.org/GovernmentService, I got all excited
about getting the schema perfect. I don't think I spent enough time
building some concrete examples for it, e.g. for New York City. And when I
checked the adoption (via Google Crawl) it was abysmally low. We had a few
early adopters in the south part of Latin America.

Now being on the other side, it feels a bit like using Lego, but with no
instruction manual. Yes, you can build something, but it takes time and it
often does not look polished enough. We also have to convince ourselves and
the people using the schemas that (a) best is the enemy of good and (b)
even a subset of the info properly tagged is better than nothing.

For accessibility, checking on Google Maps, I found the generic
"accessible" for hotels. I also found "accessible entrance" and "accessible
parking". Could we reuse what they have?
I also found a 700+ page dissertation on the topic (
https://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/33172/7/ETD_Dissertation_Benner-9.1.17.pdf).

It seems that "Wheelchair accessible entrance" is the lowest common
denominator and is non-controversial. Maybe we can start from there. The
school I am using as an example says "non accessible" (they don't have a
ramp; they don't have an elevator). So, flagging it as with
s:hasWheelchairAccessibleEntrance
"false"^^xsd:boolean should indicate that a) the entrance is not wheelchair
accessible and (b) the school is not accessible (implied).

I am surprised this is not being used already. The travel industry should
be a big user of such a feature.

Arnaud

--
Arnaud Sahuguet