Re: best practice to represent social media accounts for org like Fire departments, Police, etc.

My proposal is to have a UserAccount type that has edges to
Person/Organization: https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/3403

@prefix s: <http://schema.org/> .
<https://www.nyc.gov/site/fdny/> a s:Organization ;
  s:hasAccount <https://twitter.com/FDNY> ;
  s:hasAccount <https://www.facebook.com/FDNY> .

<https://twitter.com/FDNY> a s:UserAccount ;
  s:name "FDNY"
    s:provider <https://twitter.com>

IMO, ContactPoint is not quite the right direction because it's
provider-agnostic (a phone number or email is thankfully a global
address).  The UserAccount is only relevant in the context of the place
where the account is.

But for your specific case, at Google we currently interpret sameAs in the
way you use in the example.  That's the only way we have to represent it in
our systems.