Re: Attribution

Hi Thad, and all,

This might tie in well with some work we're kicking off to map IPTC Photo
Metadata fields (the ones embedded in image files) to schema.org. Quite a
few fields relate to attribution and licensing.

Plus we have been working with Google on the Licensable Images feature (
https://iptc.org/news/announcing-googles-licensable-images-developer-release/
 /
https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/image-license-metadata)
which uses both schema.org properties and embedded photo metadata fields.

[image: google-images-mockup-closeup-with-labels.png]

Right now the creator, copyright and credit line fields only come from
embedded photo metadata fields, whereas the licence links are in both: the
"license details" link is "licence" in schema.org / "Web Statement of
Rights" in IPTC and "get this image" link is schema.org
"acquireLicensePage" / "Licensor > Licensor URL" in IPTC).

So we've been looking at how to map the creator, copyright notice and
credit line fields to schema.org properties. We would like to eventually
map *all* IPTC fields to schema.org equivalents, we have a draft already
but we need to go through it in detail.

We have noticed that "credit line" and "copyright notice" don't have
immediate equivalents (splitting out "copyright year" and "copyright
holder" is partly, but not quite, equivalent to "copyright notice": for
example, some copyright notices have extra information in them, some
lawyers insist on the copyright symbol and/or the word copyright, some
include "All rights reserved" or "some rights reserved", and some include a
range of years rather than a single year)

So perhaps we do need new schema.org properties to cover credit line and
copyright notice.

Whether all of these fields fit best in a separate Attribution type or as
individual properties is something I don't have a strong opinion on yet. An
initial thought is that the word "attribution" doesn't necessarily cover
licensing information and usage instructions.

(Also I don't think "disclaimer" is the best word for something on a
CreativeWork. A disclaimer of warranty fits better for software or physical
goods, where something can go wrong and the creator is disclaiming
responsibility for fixing the problem. "Usage instructions", "usage
information" or "usage restrictions" probably fits better.)

Best regards,

Brendan (mdirector@iptc.org, but subscribed to this list through my
personal email)