Re: Github issues automatically closed

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 at 08:26, Thomas Francart <thomas.francart@sparna.fr>
wrote:

> Hello
>
> Inactive issues in the github repository are being automatically closed by
> a bot (random example https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/1715).
> I find it sad. At least they should be moved to the new brainstorming repo.
> I haven't seen any announcement or explanation about this, did I miss it ?
> Are the people involved in the discussions supposed to shout if they don't
> want the issue to be closed ?
>
> Seeing discussions closed automatically without reaching a conclusion is
> not encouraging people to contribute.

I agree! The intention was the opposite, but for a few days the Github bot
was misconfigured. I apologise for that! We have a *lot* of good but
inconclusive discussions accumulated in the issue tracker. The intent was
just to tag issues initially, but the default was too aggressive and it
auto-closed things prematurely. It is now set to tag inactive discussions
after 60 days, and to close them only after 365 days with no discussion. It
is primarily a way to surface ageing discussions rather than shut them down
- in some cases by moving them to a new suggestions-questions-brainstorming
repository where there is no push to close issues. I've found the list at
https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Ano-issue-activity
useful prompt to go back in and try to move things towards useful
conclusions, and encourage others here to do likewise...

Apologies for prematurely launching the bot upon the repository, but I
think in general it's a useful tool

cheers,

Dan