Re: Schema.org 3.9 release draft for review

Hello Hugo,

[passing over the point that an assertion is not proof that a person
holds a credential]

You can use the offers property to say where a
EducationalOccupationalCredential comes from, see the example on the
EOCred wiki
<https://www.w3.org/community/eocred-schema/wiki/Identify_who_offers_an_educational_occupational_credential>
[0]

But if that seems too indirect and disconnected from what you have in
mind, I think that awardedBy would be a sensible addition to
EducationalOccupationalCredential. It has close parallels in the
Credential Engines CTDL offeredBy
<https://credreg.com/ctdl/terms/offeredBy#offeredBy> [1] and IMS Open
Badges issuer
<https://www.imsglobal.org/sites/default/files/Badges/OBv2p0Final/index.html#BadgeClass>
[2], and seems different to the existing recognizedBy
<https://schema.org/recognizedBy> [3] and doesn't clash with existing
schema.org concepts around offer/Offers.

We could extend the domain of issuedBy <https://schema.org/issuedBy>
(There is a discussion around this linked from the wiki page above, in
it Vicki Tardif pretty much predicts this use case and solution--good
call Vicki)

On your question about credential category, this might be better:

{
     "@type": "EducationalOccupationalCredential",
     "name": "MBA in Marketing"
     "credentialCategory" :  "MBA"
}

Phil

0.
https://www.w3.org/community/eocred-schema/wiki/Identify_who_offers_an_educational_occupational_credential
1. https://credreg.com/ctdl/terms/offeredBy#offeredBy
2.
https://www.imsglobal.org/sites/default/files/Badges/OBv2p0Final/index.html#BadgeClass
3. https://schema.org/recognizedBy
4. https://schema.org/issuedBy

--

Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>. http://people.pjjk.net/phil
CETIS LLP <https://www.cetis.org.uk>: a cooperative consultancy for

CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in
England number OC399090
PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company,
number SC569282.