RE: Improvement of www.schema.org/menu

Ø  Sorry to be pedantic ;-)

That’s not pedantry. Its accuracy. Important.

From: scenicviews.org@gmail.com [mailto:scenicviews.org@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mark Harrison
Sent: Tuesday, 17 January, 2017 03:58
To: Wes Turner <wes.turner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Improvement of www.schema.org/menu

Sorry to be pedantic ;-) , but in fact, the SI base unit for mass is the kilogram.
See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units#Base_units and http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP330/sp330.pdf (section 2.1.1.2) and
http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/kilogram.html

The gram is the base unit for mass in the old CGS system - but not in the modern SI system.

QUDT will be more useful and more complete when version 2.0 is finally released - and has very useful machine-readable triples for expressing the dimension of each unit (is it a mass, a length, etc.) and conversion factors and offsets between units that belong to the same physical dimension (e.g. to convert between various units of mass or between various units of length).

In GS1 and the GS1 web vocabulary, for the value of http://gs1.org/voc/unitCode we use a string value indicating a Measurement Unit from UN/ECE Recommendation 20 code tables, e.g. GRM for gram, KGM for Kilogram, MGM for milligram and MC for microgram.  A 2005 edition of the code tables is available at http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/cefact/recommendations/rec20/rec20_rev3_Annex3e.pdf

Personally, I'd much prefer the QUDT approach but industry does currently use the UN/ECE Rec 20 code tables for expressing units of measure, even if some of these UN ECE code strings are completely opaque and non-intuitive, e.g. 28 = kilogram per square metre.