Re: Non-schema.org ontologies

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 at 11:18 Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Timothy,
>
> I'm sure we can appreciate knowing where every public toilet is at in
> Australia.
>
> I would NOT normally go to a search engine and type "public toilet near
> me".  Nor do I think a result set is the best visualization for listing
> toilets.  A map is better.
>
> Building cool integration inside the browser itself takes time and Google
> and others provide us with many we take for granted on a daily basis, and
> get little payback other than 'Thanks Google!' and a few pennies from side
> advertising such 'plumbing supplies', pretty niche.
>
> To that end, its unlikely to get much pizzazz from others on this cause of
> yours, and I personally wouldn't care to see them on Google Maps, but
> instead would prefer a dedicated App to perform and use datasets like
> that...but how to find such an App ?  Oh wait.. :)
>
> Google provides a listing of Apps that provide that same information for
> you to install with a single click on Android.
>
> Try it... Google Search:  'public toilet near me'
>
> no it doesn't.  therein is my point.  I can build pages using various
ontologies to solve these problems, and in doing do, figure out pathways
that result in improved considerations around how to apply something
effectively for schema.org.

> It just works. :)
>
> 35 minute drive, unfortunately it's closed but the reviews are quite
good...  interesting interpretation.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/National+Public+Toilet/@-37.8174383,144.9580489,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6ad65d4cba36c83f:0x2e5e8104d57804e0!8m2!3d-37.8174383!4d144.9602376

> (Dear Australia:  I wonder how many tax dollars you spent to put that
> toilet dataset together, rather than feeding your poor or drilling a water
> well for a community and other more useful causes ?)

https://2016.hackerspace.govhack.org/content/local-hero
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2016Feb/0069.html

no further comment.