RE: Suggestion for new category

“Director, choreographer, conductor, are potential candidates but, in a generic vocabulary such as Schema.org, how far down the production team list is it practical to go?  What about carpenter, wigs mistress, chief electrician, etc.?”

Maybe draw the line the same way publishing houses do when crediting original productions: performers, directors, authors/playwrights, producers, and theater house. For those that don’t fit in main categories create broader terms like ProductionStaff and PreProductionStaff … Would this work for general purposes without getting too elaborate?

From: Richard Wallis [mailto:richard.wallis@dataliberate.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2016 4:44 PM
To: Jacob Jett <jjett2@illinois.edu>
Cc: public-schemaorg@w3.org; Han, Myung-Ja <mhan3@illinois.edu>; Sarol, Maria Janina <mjsarol@illinois.edu>; Kinnaman, Alex Olivia <kinnama2@illinois.edu>; Cole, Timothy W <t-cole3@illinois.edu>
Subject: Re: Suggestion for new category

I think we are conflating 3 separate aspects here.

Firstly the relationship between a play, a production(s) of that play, and individual performance(s) of a production.  I think the suggestion of using CreativeWorkSeries “a group of related items, typically but not necessarily of the same kind” is maybe leading us off at a tangent.  The series approach is often used for things like The Harry Potter series of movies, or the For Dummies Book series.   The production(s) of a play are not normally a series they are different creative interpretations of the play.   To that end I see a production as its own CreativeWork(play subtype) that is an example of the original creative work (Play subtype).

A production is performed one or more times at individual performance ‘events’ these could possibly collected together into a season/run/festival - an event with individual subEvents

Next we have the relationship between the Play/CreativeWork and other creative works that contribute to, or are associated with, but not part of the work - as per the example of stage notes.  Eric’s suggestion of using ‘mention’ or ‘about’ is a step in the right direction but I agree it does not quite capture what is needed.  What if there was a ‘relatedWork’ or ‘associatedWork’ property available on CreativeWork?

Then there is the issue of how to describe the different types of contributors/performers associated with a CreativeWork beyond the common ones that already are defined, such as actor, author, director, composer, etc.   In proposing a Play type there is the option to propose some play relevant properties.  Director, choreographer, conductor, are potential candidates but, in a generic vocabulary such as Schema.org, how far down the production team list is it practical to go?  What about carpenter, wigs mistress, chief electrician, etc.?

When you move beyond a few common jobs that might make sense to add to Play, we need to look at using the Role<http://schema.org/Role> construct:

Play:
   > name: “The Tempest”
   > contributor: > Role:
                        > roleName: “Carpenter”
                        > contributor >  Person:
                                            > name: “Joe Soap”

For more on Role see The role of Role in Schema.org<http://dataliberate.com/2015/04/15/the-role-of-role-in-schema-org/>.

So as to a proposal for Play oriented properties, we should constrain ourselves to a few obvious ones, defaulting to using Role as we get further down the credit list - as the Movie folks do.

Finally a question as to the narrowness of what is being discussed/proposed.   Are we (or could we) covering other live show possibilities?  Musical, Concert, Variety Show, Comedy Club Night, Cabaret, Opera,  are all possibilities that come to mind.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com