Re: RDA and schema.org (was: An initial proposal for bib.schema.org)

Hi Dan,
Due to competing demands RDA has essentially dropped off my radar lately.
But there has been a lot of work done there and it seems a shame not to
take advantage of that.
The broad RDA classes for example <http://www.rdaregistry.info/Elements/c/
>. The value vocabularies would be especially useful, e.g. this discussion
on carrier types. Unfortunately those have not been fleshed out on the
registry at this point. Information can be had on the JSC site <
http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-RDA-element-analysis-table-rev-2.pdf>.

Perhaps communication/coordination with Chair of the JSC
(jschair@rdatoolkit.org), Gordon Dunsire and/or Diane Hillmann at Metadata
Management Associates (diane@managemetadata.com) would be useful.
Tim

From:   Dan Scott <denials@gmail.com>
To:     "Tim Knight/osgoode" <TKnight@osgoode.yorku.ca>,
Cc:     "Wallis,Richard" <Richard.Wallis@oclc.org>,
"public-schemabibex@w3.org" <public-schemabibex@w3.org>
Date:   04/15/2015 11:15 AM
Subject:        RDA and schema.org (was: An initial proposal for
bib.schema.org)

Hi Tim:

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Tim Knight/osgoode <
TKnight@osgoode.yorku.ca> wrote:
Has anyone considered incorporating the work done by the RDA Registry
group into this proposal? <http://www.rdaregistry.info/Elements/>

Many of us are certainly aware of RDA. While schema.org and RDA arguably
have different philosophies about intended usage scenarios and ease of
use, and we almost certainly don't want to try to just shoehorn all of RDA
(e.g. more than 700 unconstrained properties) into schema.org, there may
be cases where it makes sense to reuse some of the work that RDA has done
for external enumerations, for example.

Do you have specific ideas for where you think it would be appropriate to
borrow or adopt from RDA?

Dan