Re: Schema BibEx Proposals - Cannibalizing / Leveraging Dublin Core Object Properties

Thus, using "hasPart" and "isPartOf" is an excellent idea; we're "not throwing the baby out with the bathwater", to use a colloquial phrase.

I agree with, hasPart & isPartOf in particular, and the general principle of trying to avoid domain specific colloquial phrases.

~Richard.

From: Tom Adamich <vls@tusco.net<mailto:vls@tusco.net>>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 07:04:23 -0400
To: "'Young,Jeff (OR)'" <jyoung@oclc.org<mailto:jyoung@oclc.org>>, 'Niklas Lindström' <lindstream@gmail.com<mailto:lindstream@gmail.com>>
Cc: Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@oclc.org<mailto:richard.wallis@oclc.org>>, <public-schemabibex@w3.org<mailto:public-schemabibex@w3.org>>, <em@zepheira.com<mailto:em@zepheira.com>>
Subject: Schema BibEx Proposals - Cannibalizing / Leveraging Dublin Core Object Properties

...Well said, Jeff, with regard to cannibalizing / leveraging existing ontology-based structures and vocabulary.  Again, let's tend to work toward being a participating instance in Schema.org rather than disregarding what other disciplines are contributing (yes, the auto parts manufacturers that Karen referenced in one of her messages; they're trying to accomplish similar contextual goals in their space).  Thus, using "hasPart" and "isPartOf" is an excellent idea; we're "not throwing the baby out with the bathwater", to use a colloquial phrase.

I'm sure Eric Miller of Zepheira (principal on the BIBFRAME project) could speak very well to this :

"Until 2007, Eric led the Semantic Web Initiative for the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) at MIT... [He is also] co-founder and Associate Director of the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative, an open forum engaged in the development of interoperable online metadata standards that support a broad range of purposes and business models.

I’ve taken the liberty to cc him on this message.

Tom

Tom Adamich, MLS

President

Visiting Librarian Service