Re: Audience for Schema Bib extension

No problem agreeing that search engines are going to be the main and key direct consumer of schema.org markup, although in terms of describing the outcomes we want to support I'd focus on the 'searcher' rather than the search engine.

I also support the idea of expressing library holding/availability information in order to support a use case of 'for a given thing, enable search engines to present context dependent information on the availability of that thing to the searcher'. I think that we ought to look at this holistically and suspect that the answer is not just about expressing library holdings (print and electronic) but other kinds of availability as well.

Jeff mentions OpenURL, and I think we are looking at a verision of the Appropriate Copy problem here. I also think 'Appropriate Copy' has more relevance in the non-library world now, than when OpenURL was designed. For example - knowing that I can access a film via my existing NetFlix subscription is just as valid an outcome as knowing that I can buy it from Amazon or borrow it from my local library. See also the Kindle Lending Library, Spotify, Pandora, etc. etc.

This suggests to me two things we would need to be able to describe:

What a service has to offer (in the library world 'holdings')
The characteristics of those that can typically make use of the service (whether based on geo, IP range, personal subscription, etc.)

I like that these feel less niche than 'expressing library holdings'.

I've used DAIA before and like it's simplicity for representing item availability. However I also encountered some problems in that it didn't differentiate between print and electronic availability - I documented these issues at http://blogs.oucs.ox.ac.uk/sirlouie/2011/04/06/juice-and-daia-and-sakai-and-primo/ and there are also comments from Uwe Reh who was involved in the development of DAIA (along with Jakob Voss) (as an aside that blog covers the whole project and I wonder if it provides an example of another 'audience' for this kind of information)

The way I've expressed requirements above feels like there is bound to be some overlap with GoodRelations as well.

Does this chime with anyone else?

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting