Re: Missing Schema.Org properties

On 12/2/12 11:48 PM, Shlomo Sanders wrote:
> Missing objects and properties:
>
> ·Ability to describe authoritative subjects (LC/Mesh/etc.)?
> Is this Genre? I don’t think this is Keyword.
>
> ·Issn, issue, volume, eissn, etc. (Book has isbn but article does not
> have issn).

The identifier question worries me, as well. Richard is right that you
need both an identifier and its agency, and we can't have a separate
property for every possible identifier in existence. Does anyone know if
there are communities that intend to rely on the domain name as being
sufficient? e.g. id.loc.gov, or dewey.info?

> Should there be Journal and article have ability to state membership in
> a Journal (either through properties and/or URI of the Journal)?

There is an analogous situation in http://schema.org/MusicRecording,
where you have /inAlbum. I find the http://schema.org/ScholarlyArticle
schema to be very odd at the moment (it has no extensions beyond
/Article), but this would be (IMO) the right place for this.

> ·Other identifiers: Eisbn, Doi (same as above), pmid, oclc number, Ex
> Libris too has IDs, etc,
>
> ·Citations
>
> · (Digital) Access Rights, Embargo
>
> ·Collections and Packages
>
> ·Abstract, ToC

I think folks have been assuming that /description works well enough
here. In fact, in library data is much less likely to provide
description (MARC 520), than a ToC (505). If we have a ToC then we need
at least some way of ordering those repeated elements. (Or force
ourselves to provide it as a single string.) I do think that ToC and
description are different things, and you do see them treated
differently in, for instance, Google Books and in Amazon.

> ·Additional Title?

Is this an alternative title, or the title of something else contained
within the package?

> ·Thumbnail
>
> ·Author Initial

Could you say more about what you mean by this?

Thanks,
kc

--
Karen Coyle