Re: Enumerations: courseMode <CourseMode>, courseDigitalFormat <CourseDigitalFormat>, accessibilityPhysicalFeature <AccessibilityPhysicalFeature>

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016, Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello Wes, everyone.
> Yes, enumerations are good when you can reach consensus on what they
> should be. The problem is agreeing on them across the scope of all people
> who might use schema.org. External enumerations [1] would help by
> reducing the scope of the required agreement. In general, I think the
> enumerations can be added later. I think we can propose a property and
> then, when we see how it is used, add in enumerations as required.
>
> Taking the properties that you suggest would benefit from an enumeration
> in turn:
>
> AccessibilityPhysicalFeature
> - I think this is beyond our competence. Physical accessibility for events
> / locations needs to be considered in a much wider context than Courses and
> by people who understand the issues involved. I would rather leave it to a
> different working group. (This incidentally is what LRMI did for
> accessibility of creative works, and it worked out quite well.)

So it was in scope for LRMI.
It's a property (accessibilityPhysicalFeature) and like 10+ Enumerations
(braille, largePrint, wheelchairAccessible,).

> CourseMode
> - Agreed. The option set for the CEDS Course Section Instructional
> Delivery Mode https://ceds.ed.gov/element/001161 seems like a good
> starting point. I know Jim Goodell is interested in whatever it takes to
> make the CEDS vocabularies more usable in the wider RDF world.

CEDS: CourseSectionInstructionalDeliveryMode

schema.org: courseDeliveryMode ?

[external] enumerations (name, URL) would hopefully reduce the number of
misspelled schema.org/Text properties (so that faceting by this attribute
is reasonably feasible without extensive de-duplication)

we could include Text in the range for courseDeliveryMode but expect URLs
of Enumeration Things with names (because those are translatable)

> In general, I think the enumerations can be added later. I think we can
propose a property and then, when we see how it is used, add in
enumerations as required.

-1 on "everyone will realize they need to go back and re-work to upgrade
from Text to URL later"

* "IDK, the person who did it last semester must've done it wrong and it's
too late to change now"

Here's how those go (folksonomy -> structured vocabulary):

   - "Interactive Audio/Video"
   - "Audio/Video"
   - "AV"
   - "Audio-Video"
   - "Audio"
   - "Video"
   - https://ceds.ed.gov/element/001161#AudioVideo

With just Text, there's not enough information.

* RDF requires URLs (IRIs) as subjects (not Text)
  * <#AudioVideo> a Enumeration
  * <#AudioVideo> schema:name "Audio/Video"@en
  * <#AudioVideo> schema:name "ljud video"@sv
  * <#AudioVideo> schema:description "Course is taught via remote
interactive receiver or via streaming media technologies."  # CEDS

* When you want to GROUP BY courseDeliveryMode, if they're not all
consistent URLs, it's very noisy/lossy/insufficient (and then faceted
interfaces don't work without deduplication)

> CourseDigitalFormat
> - I am not convinced we even need this as a property. Can we start a
> separate thread to discuss it?

CourseDigitalFormat is necessary in order to identify courses which offer
digital formats (such as complex XML schema).

There's no need for a separate thread; or a separate mailing list; or a
separate issue ticket.

- [ ] Add the property (courseDigitalFormat)
- [ ] Add the External Enumeration class (CourseDigitalFormat) # see
above/below
- [ ] Create a wiki page to host said Enumerations
  - [ ] REQ: @vendors: pick a camelCase URL for a SMWiki page

> W3C support for Semantic MediaWiki
> - What level of support? The community group wikis are Semantic MediaWiki
> (at least according the badge on the bottom right of the
> schema-course-extend and web-schemas wikipages). Do you mean support in how
> to use it? I tried using SMW for a different task last summer and found it
> a difficult combination of RDF thinking and some of the more esoteric
> features of MediaWiki.

We should now be able to define Enumerations in a [SMWiki] table of
structured data
(such that, when we parse an [Enumerations] wiki page for {RDFa, Microdata,
JSON-LD, Turtle} with e.g. OSDS
https://github.com/openlink/structured-data-sniffer ,
we can generate what we need (e.g. labels, description) in our applications
from RDF without copy-and-pasting); IDK who would be helpful with that.

[*] Inline links are much more accessible than (not linked) footnote
citations.

> Phil
>
> 1. https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/894

In reading the examples that Phil added here: