Re: schema-course-extend: credential or award offered through course.

On 24 August 2016 at 14:36, Stuart Sutton <sasutton@dublincore.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 3:26 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19 August 2016 at 11:14, Stuart Sutton <sasutton@dublincore.net>
>> wrote:
>> > +1 on the range change.
>> >
>> > On the matter of credential/credential subclasses, the CTI is very
>> close to
>> > finalizing it's set of credential subclasses.
>>
>> How can we best follow that work? Is
>> https://www.credentialtransparencyinitiative.org/Credential-
>> Registry/Descriptors.aspx
>> the page to watch, or did any mailing lists get opened for public
>> participation?
>

> Dan, that is not the best page to follow the technical development. I
> would recommend using two viewers to the tables defining properties and
> classes under development for the Credential Transparency Description
> Language (CTDL). Both viewers contain the same information but organized
> differently: (1) the "Domains Viewer" [1] organizes properties by
> domain(Includes) classes in alpha order; and (2) the "Properties Viewer" is
> a straight alpha listing first of properties, then classes, and then
> enumeration (concept scheme) classes [2]. Additional documentation is in
> the pipeline.
>
> Important note: The first goal of the RDF modeling of the CTDL is to
> provide for rich description of a subset of the credential ecosystem to
> enable the Credential Registry under Lumina Foundation-funded development *and
> also the open community of developers*. Second, CTI has intensions to map
> a reasonable subset of the richer vocabulary to schema.org to support
> web-based discovery. The RDF encoding of the definition table content in
> these viewers will be in github soon and subject to open review and update
> through github mechanisms.
>
> Dan, the CTI project is quite large and engages participants through
> various committees of interest from across the ecosystem. There has also
> been significant outreach to related initiatives (e.g., the Open Badge
> community and the W3C Verifiable Claims Task Force). There is a 47 member
> Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) that has a member-only Google Group that
> is publicly viewable; with an open invitation for anyone interested in
> contributing to ask to join [3]. To my knowledge, no one wanting in has
> been refused. The CTI project leads actually take the word "transparency"
> in the initiatives name quite seriously.
>
> [1] http://www.credreg.net/page/domainsviewer
> [2] http://www.credreg.net/page/propertiesviewer
> [3] https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/cti-t
> echnical-committee

Thanks, I hadn't seen these, and [3] has the technical substance that was
missing from the main site.

> Looks like a lot of good work happening there, but
>> https://www.credentialtransparencyinitiative.org/ talking so much
>> about American / US issues makes me wonder how internationalized the
>> results will be. Is it also looking at that side of things, e.g.
>> dealing with translation of achievements between countries for
>> immigration purposes?
>>

> Dan, the TAC has some international representation (e.g., Phil Barker is a
> member). But, as you are aware, it's rough to be as international as one
> might hope given language limitations, social perceptions etc. *However,
> there is no intention to be U.S. centric*. We assume that the CTDL will
> evolve and one direction of that evolution will be through a push toward
> greater internationalization. For example, we've defined the
> ctdl:Credential class very broadly at [4] and then constrained the CTI
> context through subclasses. We are relatively certain that our subclasses
> (see below and in viewers) for the CTI education/workforce context will
> further develop as international communities engage the CTDL and on the
> conversation around it.

Makes sense, and I wouldn't expect all this nuance on the homepage.

> [4] http://www.credreg.net/page/propertiesviewer#Credential

Interesting - I wasn't aware that Journeyman Certificate was a formal
thing, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman#Qualification (seems to be
in UK even, if less common).

> Dan, we've been a bit stalled (along with many others) in rolling out
> these key credential subclasses because we want to use PURLs and that
> service has been temporarily inaccessible to purl administarors. I have
> been *unequivocally assured* that the solution to this problem is *very
> near*. As soon we can coin URI, we'll be moving quickly.

Ouch, that must be frustrating. Good luck with the launch!

cheers,

Dan