Re: schema-course-extend: credential or award offered through course.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 3:26 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:

> On 19 August 2016 at 11:14, Stuart Sutton <sasutton@dublincore.net> wrote:
> > +1 on the range change.
> >
> > On the matter of credential/credential subclasses, the CTI is very close
> > finalizing it's set of credential subclasses.
>
> How can we best follow that work? Is
> https://www.credentialtransparencyinitiative.org/Credential-
> Registry/Descriptors.aspx
> the page to watch, or did any mailing lists get opened for public
> participation?

Dan, that is not the best page to follow the technical development. I would
recommend using two viewers to the tables defining properties and classes
under development for the Credential Transparency Description Language
(CTDL). Both viewers contain the same information but organized
differently: (1) the "Domains Viewer" [1] organizes properties by
domain(Includes) classes in alpha order; and (2) the "Properties Viewer" is
a straight alpha listing first of properties, then classes, and then
enumeration (concept scheme) classes [2]. Additional documentation is in
the pipeline.

Important note: The first goal of the RDF modeling of the CTDL is to
provide for rich description of a subset of the credential ecosystem to
enable the Credential Registry under Lumina Foundation-funded development *and
also the open community of developers*. Second, CTI has intensions to map a
reasonable subset of the richer vocabulary to schema.org to support
web-based discovery. The RDF encoding of the definition table content in
these viewers will be in github soon and subject to open review and update
through github mechanisms.

Dan, the CTI project is quite large and engages participants through
various committees of interest from across the ecosystem. There has also
been significant outreach to related initiatives (e.g., the Open Badge
community and the W3C Verifiable Claims Task Force). There is a 47 member
Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) that has a member-only Google Group that
is publicly viewable; with an open invitation for anyone interested in
contributing to ask to join [3]. To my knowledge, no one wanting in has
been refused. The CTI project leads actually take the word "transparency"
in the initiatives name quite seriously.

[1] http://www.credreg.net/page/domainsviewer
[2] http://www.credreg.net/page/propertiesviewer
[3] https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/cti-t
echnical-committee

> Looks like a lot of good work happening there, but
> https://www.credentialtransparencyinitiative.org/ talking so much
> about American / US issues makes me wonder how internationalized the
> results will be. Is it also looking at that side of things, e.g.
> dealing with translation of achievements between countries for
> immigration purposes?

Dan, the TAC has some international representation (e.g., Phil Barker is a
member). But, as you are aware, it's rough to be as international as one
might hope given language limitations, social perceptions etc. *However,
there is no intention to be U.S. centric*. We assume that the CTDL will
evolve and one direction of that evolution will be through a push toward
greater internationalization. For example, we've defined the
ctdl:Credential class very broadly at [4] and then constrained the CTI
context through subclasses. We are relatively certain that our subclasses
(see below and in viewers) for the CTI education/workforce context will
further develop as international communities engage the CTDL and on the
conversation around it.

[4] http://www.credreg.net/page/propertiesviewer#Credential

Dan, we've been a bit stalled (along with many others) in rolling out these
key credential subclasses because we want to use PURLs and that service has
been temporarily inaccessible to purl administarors. I have been *unequivocally
assured* that the solution to this problem is *very near*. As soon we can
coin URI, we'll be moving quickly.