Re: Discord

On Sat, 22 May 2021 at 02:47, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:

> Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2021-05-21 17:35:10)
> > On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 16:47, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
> >
> > > Quoting Timothy Holborn (2021-05-21 16:18:13)
> [...]
> [...]
> > > Discord is a walled garden.  Free software, yes, but not federated
> > > data.
> > >
> > > I will therefore *not* participate on Discord - in case that
> > > matters.
> >
> > Yes, it matters :)
>
> [details about matrix snipped]
>

> Before we discuss which system to use and for what reasons: Do we find
> it a useful idea for this group to use text chat?
>
> My experience in using both mailinglists and text chat (matrix, irc and
> XMPP) every day, is that mailinglists are best for mindful comments
> while text chat is best for casual social "hanging out".
>

> >  If there's an appetite for a group chat system, we could explore
> > that.  I'd favour it being as inclusive as possible, over technical
> > features.
>
> I am open to try use text chat here if others are ok to use open
> platform and want to drive it - I will not drive it myself, though.

I don't mind the method; my 'problem' is, that as i'm putting hours into
this as i believe the work has a sense of urgency, and i'm in a position
where i can put time into it - the ability to work through issues - prior
to putting derivatives onto the list (reducing / improving list traffic as
the 'important decision making stuff' - well, i thought a bunch of
#Channels via a chat server, might help with that (but, i don't want
drama).  Also, overtime, I suspect we'll need a means to have meetings that
achieve quorum and get resolutions...

intention was to contribute towards progress (not hindrances).

TCH.