Re: Evolution of the RWW -- a Temporal Web -- Towards Web 4.0 (?)

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 11:46 PM Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2021 at 22:45, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marvin,
>>
>> Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>
>> IPFS files are by nature immutable so write once, but no subsequent
>> writes, unless you're writing to a directory structure
>>
>> It's an interesting approach, but it is still tiny compared to the HTTP
>> web, which we should also use as a build target
>>
>> The question is still, where to put the files if not on a server.  There
>> are http-IPFS gateways, and various approaches to managing mutability
>> (personally, I'm looking at Orbit-db right now).  And there are pinning
>> services to provide archiving.
>>

> Both approaches are fine.  I think it doesnt have to be either/or?  You
> can put files in IPFS or you can put them on an http server, you just have
> slightly different ways of finding them.  http tends to make it harder to
> deploy in a distributed way because http uris are definitive, tho there is
> the .well-known trick and things like ni:/// URIs which can sort of offer
> hybrid solution.  So, yes to both, and there a bit of magical discovery
> that would need to be specced out ...

A loosely coupled immutable timestamped record of state changes allows
deployment of resources to be broadly tech and protocol agnostic. For
example several previous states of a document could be stored on IPFS, with
the stateless protocol HTTP providing the most recent state, and a chain
exposing timestamped pointers to the previous states.