Re: A Quick Note on WebID history - Re: All the Agents Challenge (ATAC) at ISWC 2021

On 7/26/21 12:24 PM, bergi wrote:
> Am 26.07.21 um 16:55 schrieb Kingsley Idehen:
>> How did you arrive at that conclusion regarding browser
>> plugins/extensions? Could it be lack of promotion on our part?
>>
>> We always offered those items in support of WebID, and they were based
>> purely on the standard i.e., not specific to any of our back-end
>> solutions [1][2].
>
> I'm talking about the WebID history. I don't have the exact timeline
> in my head, but I think the group was most active around 2013. That
> would have been the time to work on that problem. As far as I can see,
> the first version published on mozilla.org is dated 2017. Many people
> lost already interest at that point. It's not OpenLinks fault. Many
> people showed up in the group in 2012 and 2013, but nobody assigned
> that task to any of them.

Yes, WebID has a complicated and checkered history.

The core concept is still workable, and it no longer needs to be mired
in confusion arising from:

1. Identifier and Authentication Protocol Conflation

2. Default Structured Data Format Squabbles

3. Persistent confusion around RDF (which is structured data
representation format and expression notation agnostic)

All we have to do is learn from the past and reintroduce it to Web
Developers who are totally focused on JSON. By that I mean:

Simply construct a workable narrative for that community :)

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog: https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog