Re: A Quick Note on WebID history - Re: All the Agents Challenge (ATAC) at ISWC 2021

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 at 03:57, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
wrote:

> On 7/25/21 4:48 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

>> Yes, but parties on both sides are at fault re trying to impose a default
>> document content-type for serialization and persistence of credentials.
>>

> The default document type of the web is html
>

> Yes it is, which is why "RDF deployed via HTML" is a growing deployment
> pattern [1]
>

>> I continue to encourage the pursuit of verifiable identity solutions that
>> aren't distracted by content-type conflicts.
>>
>> The ultimate beauty of RDF lies in its abstract nature i.e., it is
>> fundamentally data representation format agnostic.
>>

> RDF does have a lot of baggage.
>

> No, the problems it solve are both complex and *scary* to those who wish
> said problems were simple.
>
> You can wish simple solutions for complex problems. That's what Web 2.0
> folks have done, and look at how nicely that's played out for the world
> right now.
>

> Forcing predicates as URIs, language tags, bnodes, data types, content
> negotiation, XML format from 2002, SPARQL, RDF*, difficulty with arrays,
> forcing everything to be a Set etc. etc.
>

> I don't understand the point you are making above.
>
> RDF simply requires the use of IRIs for identifying entities and entity
> relationship types (relations) . What's wrong with that?
>

> Where one might see beauty, others might see complexity.  Even as an
> abstract format, it is opinionated
>

> It isn't.
>
> What's opinionated, is all the thinking and money that went into imposing
> Web 2.0 on the world. That effort is the root of most misconceptions
> associated with RDF.

I would say the main hurdle for developers is that when they create an
object every attribute MUST be a URI.  That makes for a poor developer
experience.  That's what I think is opinionated.

>> JSON-LD is good for engaging the so-called "Web Developer" due to the
>> ubiquity of JSON. That developer-profile dominates the application
>> development landscape in today's digital world.
>>

>> It's too much of a heavy-lift for the average developer and they'll
>> choose JSON.  The name RDF is poison to web developers
>>

>> Correction:
>>
>> RDF (formaized EAV i.e., EAV plus formalized Identifiers in the form of
>> IRIs) cannot be poison since Web Developers generally understand EAV and
>> work with it courtesy of structured data delivered via JSON docs :)
>>

>> IMHO we need a JSON based version of WebID, perhaps an extension of
>> schema.org, as a basis to create a modern read-write web
>>

>> You need a Resolvable Identifier (e.g., and HTTP IRI) that resolves to a
>> variety of documents types. If the target audience is Web Developers,
>> JSON-LD or pure JSON will suffice as the default.
>>

> Yes, JSON with URis.
>

> But you stated above that URI requirement in abstract RDF was problematic?
> I can't reconcile both of those thoughts.

Again, we're talking about MUST vs SHOULD.  JSON doesnt reqiure you to use
URIs as predicates, but when you use schema.org they show you how to do
that.