Re: A Quick Note on WebID history - Re: All the Agents Challenge (ATAC) at ISWC 2021

Am 26.07.21 um 01:24 schrieb Timothy Holborn:
> Re: TLS / x.509
>
> nb: IoT (or "web of things") usecases...

That's now the most important use case for WebID-TLS from my point. It
works out of the box on an ESP32 and ESP8266. And I have seen some other
SDKs for MCUs with an integrated IP+TLS stack that support client
certificates.

But we failed on the browser use case, the primary use case, when we
were working on the specs. I mentioned multiple times that somebody
should work on a browser plugin or patch to fix the broken certificate
UI in the browser. But the idea was never picked up. I'm not sure how
important the JSON vs. Turtle argument would be if we would have had a
working UI. It was hard to convince people when there was an "assigned
task" for the browser vendors when no browser vendor participated. Also,
nobody else tried to prove that it is possible to have a usable UI that
works for anybody.