Re: A Quick Note on WebID history - Re: All the Agents Challenge (ATAC) at ISWC 2021

On 7/25/21 4:48 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

>     Yes, but parties on both sides are at fault re trying to impose a
>     default document content-type for serialization and persistence of
>     credentials.
>

> The default document type of the web is html

Yes it is, which is why "RDF deployed via HTML" is a growing deployment
pattern [1]

>     I continue to encourage the pursuit of verifiable identity
>     solutions that aren't distracted by content-type conflicts.
>
>     The ultimate beauty of RDF lies in its abstract nature i.e., it is
>     fundamentally data representation format agnostic.
>

> RDF does have a lot of baggage.

No, the problems it solve are both complex and *scary* to those who wish
said problems were simple.

You can wish simple solutions for complex problems. That's what Web 2.0
folks have done, and look at how nicely that's played out for the world
right now.

> Forcing predicates as URIs, language tags, bnodes, data types, content
> negotiation, XML format from 2002, SPARQL, RDF*, difficulty with
> arrays, forcing everything to be a Set etc. etc.

I don't understand the point you are making above.

RDF simply requires the use of IRIs for identifying entities and entity
relationship types (relations) . What's wrong with that?

> Where one might see beauty, others might see complexity.  Even as an
> abstract format, it is opinionated

It isn't.

What's opinionated, is all the thinking and money that went into
imposing Web 2.0 on the world. That effort is the root of most
misconceptions associated with RDF.

>     JSON-LD is good for engaging the so-called "Web Developer" due to
>     the ubiquity of JSON. That developer-profile dominates the
>     application development landscape in today's digital world.
>

>>     It's too much of a heavy-lift for the average developer and
>>     they'll choose JSON.  The name RDF is poison to web developers
>

>     Correction:
>
>     RDF (formaized EAV i.e., EAV plus formalized Identifiers in the
>     form of IRIs) cannot be poison since Web Developers generally
>     understand EAV and work with it courtesy of structured data
>     delivered via JSON docs :)
>

>>     IMHO we need a JSON based version of WebID, perhaps an extension
>>     of schema.org <http://schema.org>, as a basis to create a modern
>>     read-write web
>

>     You need a Resolvable Identifier (e.g., and HTTP IRI) that
>     resolves to a variety of documents types. If the target audience
>     is Web Developers, JSON-LD or pure JSON will suffice as the default.
>

> Yes, JSON with URis.

But you stated above that URI requirement in abstract RDF was
problematic? I can't reconcile both of those thoughts.

> Allow them to be referenced in a document.

Once an Entity Relationship Graph is constructed from resolvable IRIs,
that's exactly what happens, irrespective of content-type chosen (or
negotiated) for serialization and persistence.

> Imported to a quad store.  Embed in a web page.  Simpler, more
> powerful. Obvious, really.

Quad Store?  Why should that be part of the narrative? You have
Identifiers, Protocols, and Storage (comprising serialization and
persistence formats).

IRIs for Names, Entity Relationships Types (Relations), and negotiable
formats for content serialization and persistence is all that's
required. Totally obvious, simple, really, whenever all parties stop
fighting and move forward with flexibility backed up by architectural
integrity.

This isn't complicated, IMHO.

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com