Re: A Quick Note on WebID history - Re: All the Agents Challenge (ATAC) at ISWC 2021

On 7/25/21 4:32 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 at 22:06, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/25/21 11:12 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>     >
>     > Yes, if you said to any web developer in the world, "JSON with
>     URLs",
>     > they'd get it immediately
>
>     Yes, they do!
>
>     I tend to phrase it as URLs as Data Source Names that resolve to
>     content
>     comprising any of the following:
>
>     1. JSON -- for EAV
>     2. CSV -- for N-Tuples representing a Table/Grid/Spreadsheet
>

> Yes, JSON as EAV is great
>
> So the issue with WebID is that it's almost unimplementable.

You are conflating two things when you make that statement:

1. WebID -- a resolvable identifier that identifies and Person or Agent
2. WebID-TLS -- a protocol that extends TLS by using a WebID as a
pointer to a credentials doc (WebID-Profile Doc) that's reconciled to
the Public Key used to establish a TLS session.

I believe you are stating that the protocol above (WebID-TLS) has
implementation challenges arising from the manner in which User Agents
handle TLS sessions.

> The reason is that you are required to use turtle, which doesnt have a
> native parser, or native user base.

That only applies in a world where WebID and Turtle are tightly-coupled.
That isn't the world I see (past, present, or future).

> It also struggles to handle any sort of arithmetic.
>
> Then you need to correctly implement content negotiation which always
> breaks something.  Almost no one can do it, even large firms
>
> I say 'almost' because perhaps OpenLink is the best out there.  So, as
> a quick experiment I just tried the two WebIDs in your profile:
>
> 1. time curl
> http://kingsley.idehen.net/public_home/kidehen/profile.ttl#i
> <http://kingsley.idehen.net/public_home/kidehen/profile.ttl#i>
> Time taken: 8.52s
> Result: a file in turtle, doesnt display in the browser
>
> 2.
> id.myopenlink.net/DAV/home/KingsleyUyiIdehen/Public/kingsley.ttl#this
> <http://id.myopenlink.net/DAV/home/KingsleyUyiIdehen/Public/kingsley.ttl#this>
> Time taken: 7.78s
> Result: curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer

curl -kI
https://id.myopenlink.net/DAV/home/KingsleyUyiIdehen/Public/kingsley.ttl#this
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Virtuoso/08.03.3322 (Linux) x86_64-generic-linux-glibc25  VDB
Connection: Keep-Alive