Re: A Quick Note on WebID history - Re: All the Agents Challenge (ATAC) at ISWC 2021

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 3:40 PM Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So, I think there are basically different eco systems.  DID and WebID
> etc.  In theory, they have similar routes, and in theory can interoperate.
> But in reality they are two separate things.
>
> For example, try adding a did: into a WebID document while complying to
> both specs.  I dont think you can do it
>
> So that leaves the question as where things stand with the standards based
> approach to the : read-write web / social web / identity / credentials etc.
>
> Because there's more than just one standards based approach

Yup

> IMO the thing people like alot about did: is that it's in JSON.  But it
> doesnt easily include HTTP URIs which still have a significant network
> effect (granted most dont use webid).

JSON w/ URIs has seemed obvious for a decade or more.

In a sense it's sad that this field has been encumbered with rdf and it's
legacy baggage harking right back to xml for so long, because if it wasn't,
we'd arguably be a decade further along and just have (a standardized) JSON
w/ URIs for 95%+ of common web / web data needs.

> There's definitely value at the intersection of these two diverged
> standards.

+1, value is often found at the intersection