Re: How the father of the World Wide Web plans to reclaim it from Facebook and Google

First off - inspirational work Kaliya...

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016, 4:23 AM Kaliya IDwoman <kaliya-id@identitywoman.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 5:51 AM, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com
> > wrote:
>
>> What is the business case for a service provider to adopt Solid?
>>

> 1) first off I'm super skeptical of any project that is
> university/research based it is notoriously difficult to get those to
> escape the lab as it where. Everyone has incentive to "publish" for their
> degrees/professorships - zero incentive to make a usable, market
> worthy/ready product (I don't just mean in a business way relative to
> market but adoptable in the marketplace of tools and software)
>
> 2) The Personal Data Ecosystem Consortium that I founded in 2010
> http://www.pde.cc has a whole range of companies that have been working
> on similar technology and ideas for well over 5 years. So it isn't new -
> the ideas around personal data stores/banks etc and putting people at the
> center of their own data lives go back at least to Johannes'  Ernst work
> (See the top of my twitter for a diagram he drew in 2005-6.  And the
> Augmented Social Network White Paper which itself and antecedents in other
> work. http://asn.planetwork.net
>
> 3) Please show me what Tim has lead that has gotten to market besides HTML
> back in the day?

I'm sure you mean TimBL, and I think it's important to note the web
foundation, the w3c, the web we want campaign and of course ODI and
Webscience related works; which is amongst his very broad-spectrum of
interests that are all very complex and surely time-consuming.

I think Sandro was amongst the earlier 'cross cloud' focused individuals,
alongside a group of others and I note the w3 designissues notes.

>> Why would Google, Facebook or anyone that build's their business on user
>> data choose to let users take that away?
>>

> They don't have a choice because the European regulatory framework the
> General Data Protection Regulation that comes into force in 2018 is
> mandating it.
> You also have a whole group of companies working on building businesses
> around this premise and one finally finally got funding -
> https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/30/digi-me-bags-6-1m-to-put-users-in-the-driving-seat-for-sharing-personal-data/
> Meeco https://meeco.me/ from Australia is doing awesome work (Both there
> and in the UK) as is MyDex https://mydex.org/
>

>> Who will offer users a comparable service to these silos that attracts
>> them away but adopts Solid and can still make enough money to survive
>> competing with the biggest tech companies in the world?
>>
>> The point is not whether or not the architecture is easy the point is
>> whether it has the potential to make anybody any money because if it
>> doesn't then I think you will have a hard time persuading people to use it,
>> no matter how well it scales.
>>

> We have to really get into the weeds of figuring how value flows in these
> networks to make it work for the parties involved and be sustainable in the
> long run.  It will take way more then "architecture".

Fwiw - I far prefer the concept of 'human centric', rather than 'self
sovereign'.

I also am not confident we have a means to denote a human in a human
centric manner yet.  I do not think a webid-tls cert with a foaf doc uri
stating 'person' does it: and whilst I've explored the idea of allocating
ipv6 subnets, through to a grand array of other alternatives, all I have
found to date is a bunch of smart people debating concepts, who could
ideally cooperate as to define something that works for the most vulnerable
on our planet reliable.

> If you all want to dive into some of the nitty gritty I invite you to the
> Internet Identity Workshop - http://www.internetidentityworkshop.org

If I can find the budget I would very much enjoy the experience.

If more info exists, please let me know.

Oh, also - what are your ideas about how to put human-centric controls on
superintelligent A.I. systems and how they interact with person/s via data?

Tim. Holborn :)

:) Kaliya