Re: WebID, WebID Protocol definitions and requirements.

On 10/31/12 12:39 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> This certainly isn't the intention.
>>>
>>> Striving to find a way of wording these constraints to make adoption
>>> and interoperability simple, whilst rewarding people like yourself
>>> and OpenLink who have went over and above to do WebID+++.
>>>
>>> Not to preclude or marginalize anything, but to promote and
>>> standardize a common simple set of the available options, and have
>>> everything else as enhancements / extensions / integration which
>>> broaden the scope to be web wide.
>>>
>>> To clarify for the remainder of this convo, can you confirm which of
>>> these statements you would support / reject:
>>>
>>> subjectAltName ... MUST be an HTTP URI and SHOULD contain a
>>> #fragment ..
>> -1
>>
>> The kills off the work we've done re. hooking LinkedIn, Twitter,
>> Facebook, G+, WordPress, etc.. into WebID realm.
>>>
>>> WebID profiles ... MUST be in Turtle, and MAY be made available in
>>> other machine readable formats such as ...
>> 0
>>
>> It doesn't break our proxy URIs since we have full support for
>> content negotiation including QoS algorithms on the document
>> publication side.
>>

>>> WebID Verification Agents ... MUST support Turtle ... SHOULD support
>>> other machine readable formats.
>> 0
>>
>> Our verifiers also leverage content negotiation and our sponger
>> transformation services, so it doesn't matter.
>>
>> Question:
>>
>> Doesn't the current definition imply that WebID-authentication
>> protocol based verifiers are going to be looking for hash URIs in
>> Certificate SANs as part of their implementation? I believe the
>> answer to that question is yes, and the end-result being that lexical
>> space parsing will lead to faults when hashless URIs are encountered
>> in X.509 cert. SAN slots. Again, that kills off our proxy URIs.
>
> Okay. Let's ignore the turtle side of things for now, all the
> arguments on having a single common format supported by all are fairly
> sound for interoperability reasons.

Turtle as a recommended document content format is fine. Of course, I
would prefer SHOULD over MUST even though its my personal favorite.

> So the issue comes down to #frag - this is familiar.

Yes.

> Personally, I want to see as many people as possible using frag http
> uris to denote agents, and also want to ensure that WebID protocol
> encourages this, but does not prevent or preclude any dereferencable
> http URI, frag or slash.

Yes, horses for courses compliance is vital here. "Deceptively Simple"
vs "Simply Simple".

> For reference, would you be 0/1 with:
>
> a) definition WebID: an HTTP URI which denotes an Agent. Where you can
> GET an RDF model as TURTLE.

0.

I don't believe you GET an RDF model. I believe you GET RDF model based
document content.

> b) subjectAltName ... MUST be an HTTP URI ...

0.

The above doesn't break what exists. Thus, my 0.

It isn't a +1 because it closes the door to non http: scheme based
de-referencable URIs. In doing so, the door will be closed to others
working in the social web realm that will never use http: scheme URIs to
denote Agents. Simple example, acct: scheme URIs where implementers are
happy to use Webfinger to make said URIs de-referencable.

I believe there's a sizable Webfinger community out there to which the
door is being closed, unduly.

Kingsley

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen