Re: Activity Pingback

On 10/12/12 22:20, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 12 October 2012 21:22, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> <mailto:melvincarvalho@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 11 October 2012 21:16, Sandeep Shetty <sandeep.shetty@gmail.com
>     <mailto:sandeep.shetty@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>          > I might be quite interested to try out the "like" use case
>         from any URI to
>          > any URI.
>          >
>          > I know that facebook and google have a like button that is
>         used in many
>          > sites, does anyone have a button that we could use to test
>         out the general
>          > case?
>
>         I have a working open-source (alpha) implementation of Activity
>         Pingback at: http://pingback.converspace.com/
>
>         and I'm currently working on a proof of concept of
>         activityweb.org <http://activityweb.org>,
>         specifically around "like" and should have something to demo in
>         about
>         a weeks time.
>
>         There are some interesting problems with federated likes (or any
>         activity for that matter). For example, unlike centralized
>         likes, its
>         hard to ensure accuracy of like counts since the activities are
>         taking
>         place on different websites and any problems during the activity
>         pingback process could mean loss of info.  To mitigate this, an
>         activity pingback endpoint will need to implement queuing of
>         unsuccessful activity pingbacks and retry with an exponential delay
>         (like you typically would do with webhooks). Endpoints could
>         delegate
>         this responsibility to open proxies (soon to be implemented at
>         pingback.converspace.com <http://pingback.converspace.com>) to
>         simply their own implementation (this is
>         the equivalent of a hub in PubSubHubbub).
>
>         I would love to get feedback and suggestions from people on this
>         list
>         on how this could be improved upon.
>

>     I have managed to find a like button which I've added to the bottom
>     of my homepage
>
>     http://melvincarvalho.com/
>
>     The 'likes' so far (which you can see by clicking on the number "3")
>
>     http://melvincarvalho.com/likes
>
>     To see the data behind it click on ("This page as Linked Data"),
>     I've modelled it as a commerce transaction so that this flow can be
>     extended fully to payments:
>
>     http://graphite.ecs.soton.ac.uk/browser/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmelvincarvalho.com%2Flikes
>
>     Last step is pingback ... I was thinking of just doing these one at
>     a time then automating it ...
>

> OK I've completed the final step by pinging both Kingsley and Henry (by
> hand)
>
> Kingsley's pingback endpoint gave an error
>
> Henrys gave me : Your message has been successfully delivered!

Henry uses my-profile.eu for pingback delivery. However, your ping was
not addressed to him but to yourself. At least that's what I can tell my
looking up the ping in the database. This is the source URI:
http://melvincarvalho/likes, and this is the destination URI:
http://melvincarvalho/likes. Are you sure you're doing it right? :)

Andrei