Re: EmailSigning feedback

On 10/1/12 11:37 AM, Jürgen Jakobitsch wrote:
> hi,
>
> thanks, i'm clear about that, thing is that i would like to have signed
> mails a "green" footer in most cases anyway. i already had feedback from
> people who were not able to open my signed mails and i'm thinking about
> not scaring people if there should be some sort of viral effect.

We have the following choices:

1. leave people scared and in the dark
2. enlighten them about what's amiss re. identity and eventually privacy.

We have to turn these miscues into triggers for knowledge exchange.

> i don't
> want my signed mails to be rejected or deleted by someone who just
> doesn't know that it has no meaning.

So you can explain to them the value of clicking on the scary icon. For
example, copy and pasting the WebID into their browser (since most email
clients you treat the WebID as an actual live link) .

> i also don't want to change my
> email signature to include an argument about why an "invalid" or "not
> trusted" certificate doesn't really matter.

Correct, no need for that.

> i just started a small survey in our company per email, with some
> questions like :
>
> -do you notice at all, this email is signed
> -does it look invalid, not trusted
> -if yes, does this scare you somehow

They are all scared. That's why they are all under the control of broken
email clients and dysfunctional PKI. Net effect, we have social network
silos emerging around what's already addressed by existing open
standards :-(

Kingsley

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen