Re: EmailSigning feedback

On 10/1/12 9:12 AM, Jürgen Jakobitsch wrote:
> apparently this whole emailSigning thing not so easy and there is a
> plethora of "reactions" from different email clients.
>
> maybe we should set up a wiki-page with a matrix of the creation process
> and the experiences with different mail clients to come up with a
> solution that suits most people.
I wrote a number of howtos [1] for all the major email clients due to
what you outline above. Sadly, the world of PKI exploitation has been
turned on its head by the overbearing nature of those in the CA business.

In the world of eCommerce, 3rd party verification of vendor identity is
crucially important. Sadly, that's a single use-case pattern that's come
to cloud (obscure) the entire realm of PKI exploitation as you are now
experiencing with inconsistent behavior across S/MIME clients.

For social networking, 3rd party identity verification doesn't have to
follow centralized CA pattern. In short, therein lies the fundamental
essence of the WebID authentication protocol. Even without adding the
requirement for IdP's to generate certificates with the issuer/signer's
WebID in the Issuer Alternative Name (IAN) slot, it is still possible to
ignore email client behavior en route to looking up the WebID that
watermarks a senders certificate. This is base #1, the first step.

Beyond the basics above, without the tedium associated with writing
plugins for each email client, it is possible to incorporate WebID into
IMAP4 which enables smart organization of mailboxes. This is what I'll
demonstrate next as we've implemented this feature a while back as part
of our exercising the practical utility of WebID within the context of
existing protocols.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/U9tvcP -- various G+ howtos for different email clients .

Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com