Re: RWW Topics

On 18 June 2012 23:33, bergi <bergi@axolotlfarm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this group has wide scope, so I though it might be a good idea to
> collect the topics people are working on (concepts + implementations).
> This would allow us to create smaller, but more productive groups which
> can work together via Skype, IRC, Google Talk, etc.

+1

The structure of this group is very flat, so each individual member has a
say on the topics they want to focus on.  The caveat that we do try and
leverage (or create) Web Standards that can be deployed at a global scale,
in line with the original vision of the Web.

> So here is my list of topics I'm working on/thinking about:
>
> - improve ACL (combine WAC + TAC + role based approach, variables)
> - request for access (like OAuth scopes for documents and triples)
> - improve Pingback (Authentication, CORS, Linked Data Basic Profile)
> - implementing the Linked Data Basic Profile (Collections, ...)
> - ontology to tell applications where to store data (aka bring your own
>  triplestore)

Yes to all of these.

I think a good description of topics is here:

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/ReadWriteLinkedData.html

So two I would add are:

- DataWiki aka Personal Data Store
- SPARQL 1.1 (Update)

In a general sense everything in design issues, and using Web Standards to
make the Web read/write.  For me "Weaving the Web" really goes over the
potential list of applications of a Web with "everything connected to
everything", from apps such as Enquire, WorldWideWeb (the first browser
that was already read/write), Tangle etc.

While the Web has a large scope, for a group of 50 or so, that we are now,
there's certainly advantages in focusing.

It seems to me that facebook had a reasonable progression.  First build a
social platform, then add basic apps, photo sharing, events, wall etc.
Later comes the app platform and games, then instant messaging, geo and
finally payments and federation to the whole web (open graph protocol)

So the efforts I'm *roughly* looking at are:

Q2 2012 -- Robust federated social networking (My Profile, OpenLink Data
Spaces, Resource Me, tabulator)
Q3 2012 -- More mature social platform, app platform, some apps, federate
things like login with OAuth / Facebook Connect, Open Graph
Q4 2012 -- More federation, advanced social net features, bootstrap apps to
the platform, apps start to interoperate

It's not really a roadmap or anything just guesswork of what's coine this
year, based on progressions I've seen.