Re: Use Cases and Requirements document for WebID

On 11 Dec 2012, at 16:15, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I had flushed some ideas at [1].

These seem relevant

Use-Cases:
	 referring to one's identity
	 WebID-based authentication
	 WebID-based authorization

Requirements:
	 one MUST be able to change one's WebID
	 one MUST distinguish a WebID (a simple URI for a Web Resource) from a WebID Profile (the Web Information Resource). This SHOULD not rely on dereferencing.
	 the system MUST take efficiency into account
	 the system MUST not introduce any incompatility with LDP, especially for Write operations
	 the Web Profile MUST define a default representation format
	 the system SHOULD considerer legacy WebIDs (or FOAF/SSL) whenever possible

It seems to me that we may need to put WebAccessControl into the WebID group, as it
is very tied to authentication and so to WebID-Authentication over TLS, and is one of
the key use cases for WebID.

  Henry

> Alexandre.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/WebID_Definition/Requirements
>
> On 12/11/2012 10:11 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>> To make some progress, I think we need a use cases and requirements document.
>>
>> At TPAC the main interest was to be able to work with the newly emerging
>> Linked Data Platform group [1]. I don't think that LDP says anything about
>> 303s so I don't think this is in fact necessarily relevant to the 303 vs hash
>> debate.
>>
>> But it does give us a good reason to have HTTP URIs because we can then use
>> that platform to do things like the following:
>>

>> Create an account
>> -----------------
>>
>>   ( requires LDP + WebAccessControl )
>>
>>   1. Find an a LD Collection that is publicly available and allows creation of containers
>>   2. create a container that gives default access to the creator ( perhaps using hash id )
>>   3. creator can POST a WebID Profile to container with public key
>>
>> Restful Mail
>> ------------
>>
>>   1. Use the WebID profile to find a Collection for sending mail like content
>>   2. POST a mail like entity there after authenticating with WebID
>>      ( now that gives us secure mail )
>>
>> Pingback
>> --------
>>
>>    similar to Restful Mail, but simpler
>>

>> Friend of a friend Access
>> -------------------------
>>
>>  Allow friends of friends access to some resources
>>

>> So we have a page for this here which we started a few years back
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/Use_Cases_and_Requirements
>>
>> I think it is time to work on that one again.
>>
>> Henry
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/hg/ldp.html
>>
>> Social Web Architect
>> http://bblfish.net/