Re: Building a paid App Market

On 14 August 2012 16:31, Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu>wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 7 August 2012 15:10, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Now that we have a few social systems progressing nicely.
> >>
> >> Do people think it's the right time to start working on a paid app
> market.
> >>
> >> The idea of the web as the intersection of information spaces, could
> apply
> >> to apps too.  ie to make apps that are as compatible as possible with
> other
> >> app eco systems, but also to allow you to 'deploy to the web', and add
> in a
> >> payment system to encourage people to build apps.
> >>
> >> Perhaps it might be possible to hook in payswarm as a possible payments
> >> system.
> >>
> >> If anyone is interested in this idea, it's something I'd be happy to
> work
> >> on, with maybe trying to get a proof of concept ready by end of next
> month
> >> in time for TPAC.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts, design ideas, issues?
> >>

> > I've jotted down some notes in this wiki page ... please feel free to add
> > to it or make changes as you see fit
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/community/rww/wiki/App_Market
> >
> > Next Steps
> >
> >    - Investigate possible code reuse, in particular, the payswarm
> wordpress
> >    plugin
> >    - Brainstorm minimal viable product
> >
> > Also will be interesting to see if app.net reaches is funding goal over
> the
> > weekend ...
>
> While the investigation of paid apps looks interesting... are you really
> sure it is completely on topic with RWW ?

Good question.  I think the RWW platform needs to have a first class
framework capable of incorporating modern systems.

The social network and REST APIs seem to be coming on well.  I'm kind of
looking at how facebook made the jump from a vanilla social feed to a rich
app ecosystem about 3 years ago.

I think it's apps and agents that are going to do a lot of work when it
comes to read / write on the web.

We need an environment that will encourage people to deploy apps and agents
to the web.  While it's not strictly necessary that payments are involved,
it's been shown that this can exponentially encourage activity.  There's
other payments systems out there but the W3C payments group seems a good
match, at least for a proof of concept.

Once we have a prototype it can be developed further or just illustrate a
possible flow.

There is of course always the danger of taking on too much, but I think
this might be a valuable component in a first class Web Ecosystem.

Would love to know your thoughts.