Re: DTB comments from XML Query

Sandro Hawke wrote:
> I put the comments from XML Query WG (via Jim Melton) on the wiki, and
> added my thoughts on each of his points:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Response_to_JM
>
> Issues:
>
>   * Why are we using a different namespace?  (I don't remember)

I don't recall a formal decision on this but my rational reconstruction
is that we were striving to have a simple uniform namespace for our
users.  We use operators as well as functions and in RIF the operators
become functions too.  Since XQuery deliberately don't offer a namespace
for op we would have to make that up. Given that it seems easier to have
them all in a single RIF namespace rather than always having to remember
if this one is a rif-fn: or xq-fn:.

>   * We should explain negative guards a little; without some explanation,
>     they look buggy.

+1

>   * Change concat to require at least 2 args, like xpath?

+1

>   * String subscripts are numbered from 1; we made lists numbered
>     from 0.  Maybe those should match?  Ugh!  (I've hated this issue
>     for 31 years now.  Why stop now?)

Ugh indeed but since its true that fn:substring starts uses numbering
from 1 (why?!) we ought to be consistent and change lists.

>   * Stop using the hollow square box

+1

> There are about a dozen other points, but on the rest I think we can
> just do what the commenter asks.  (I would like a second pair of eyes on
> them, though.)

The hard one is type promotion. We are assuming type promotion for the
numeric operators and I believe Jim that the clearest way to read the
specs is that type promotion is done in the language and the operators &
functions only handle the promoted types. That suggests we need to add a
section on type promotion in RIF .