Re: ISSUE-43 ISSUE 41 - Proposed resolution for membership and classification

Jos de Bruijn wrote:

>> However, I think I heard Jos and maybe others say that, in its BLD
>> specification, # could not be used to state membership in types
>> defined in an XML schema, the way I imagined to use it in my example.
>>
>> Can someone explain me why?
>

> Could you send a pointer to the example you mentioned?

The complete example is attached. Some extracts of the MISMO AUS_v2_4.xs
that are necessary to understand it are summarized below (and in [1]).

> # denotes class membership, and an XML schema type is not the same thing
> as a class.
> For example, members of a class are also members of all superclasses.
> This is not the case for XML schema types.

How is that? XML content of a given type T is also valid content for all
the types from which it is derived by restriction, isn't? Well, that's
at least certainly true for ComplexTypes; I have a doubt wrt
SimpleTypes, because of the xs:whiteSpace facet...

Anyway, I get the point: it does not work for types that are derived by
extension. So, if we want to use it with XML data types, we must either
keep the semantics of # and be careful that it is not the semantics of
XML type derivation, or extend the semantics of #.

Thanx,

Christian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2008Jan/0022.html

----- Extracted from MISMO AUS_v2_4 XML schema
<xs:complexType name="AUS_LOAN_APPLICATION_Type">
     <xs:sequence>
	<xs:element name="REO_PROPERTY"
                     type="AUS_REO_PROPERTY_Type" minOccurs="0"
                     maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</xs:complexType>
<xs:complexType name="AUS_REO_PROPERTY_Type">
	<xs:sequence/>
	<xs:attribute name="_SubjectIndicator"
                       type="AUS_MISMOIndicatorType">
	</xs:attribute>
</xs:complexType>
<xs:simpleType name="AUS_MISMOIndicatorType">
	<xs:restriction base="xs:string"/>
</xs:simpleType>