Re: Grammar presentation syntax FLD and BLD

Michael Kifer wrote:
>>> Further, to dramatically improve readability of examples and test cases,
>>> I'd suggest
>>>
>>>  Const          ::= LITERAL '^^' SYMSPACE  |  NUMERIC  |  ALPHANUMERIC
>>>
>>> where the last 2 options are sugar that allows one to omit any enclosing
>>> "" or trailing ^^xsd:decimal or ^^rif:local.
>>>
>> I agree that we want to improve readability of examples.  incidentally,
>> I think it is much more convenient to abbreviate IRIs rather than local
>> symbols, since local symbols will not be used very often (I think): the
>> names of local symbols are not accessible outside the rule set.
>> However, I'm not sure this BNF is the place.  I think we can just say
>> something like:
>>
>> For readability, in the examples throughout this document and in other
>> documents we use the following abbreviations:
>> *  "ns#localname"^^rif:iri as compact URIs of the form prefix:localname
>> *  "numeric+(.numeric+)?"^^xsd:decimal as numbers numeric+(.numeric+)?
>>

> I am reluctant to do this in the official RIF specification, because it is
> supposed to illustrate how exactly things are supposed to be written in the
> language.  (Unofficial) tutorials and papers are a different matter. There
> people can do whatever they want.

The problem is the test cases.  Aren't they "official"?  And yet I would
like them to be readable (and writable), and I don't think it is
desirable to have each test case be in a different language, as Sandro
suggests.  Implementers would get a lot of valuable ideas about how to
build their translators from reading the test cases, but only if they
can read the test cases.

--

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Gary Hallmark | Architect | +1.503.525.8043