Re: open issues in RIF-BLD, RIF-RDF: metadata, built-ins

Michael Kifer wrote:
> The proposal in [2] is not quite clear to me. If I understand it correctly,
> it is not sufficiently flexible.

Care to be more specific?

> Moreover, I do not understand why are you talking about external data sets
> and not about external rulesets. A data set is a special case of a rule
> set.

I've taken it for granted that there will be a rule import mechanism
(and indeed an associated module mechanism for rules). I've also taken
it for granted that that will be part of the rule language. Whereas
information on source datasets is just metadata to guide an application
builder and is not currently associated with a formal processing model.

The case where the data is in RIF format is indeed a special case of
that. Which is why that page says:

[[[
Some datasets may be simply RIF rulesets comprising just facts. In that
case no further information is needed. Referencing a global dataset in
that case can be achieved using a simple ruleset import mechanism.

We could stop there and say that how datasets in some
application-specific datamodel get translated to RIF fact-sets is
outside the scope of RIF.

However, there seems to be a desire for RIF to be able to reference
datasets in application-specific formats and at least document what the
format is.
]]]

I'm not sure that I care that much about this either way. The reason
that page exists is that Christian felt that dataset identification was
an important topic at F2F(N-2) and I agreed to put a sketch together. It
is fine by me if the WG wants drop it. It is also fine by me if someone
wants to state different requirements not met by this mechanism or
propose alternative mechanisms.

On the other hand metadata inclusion in rules and rulesets is a
necessary requirement and still needs to be done. If I get time I'll try
to put some notes together on that though my time available for RIF
related work is rather constrained at the moment.

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England