Re: ACTION-314 (Re: [TED] ACTION-294: Propose a treatment of sequences)

Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Jeff Z. Pan wrote:
>> ACTION-314 [1]:
>>

>> This action is closely related to the ACTION-294 [2], and there have
>> been
>> extensive discussed during the last two telecons, as well as in the
>> mailing list.
>>

>> The original intention of this action is about integrating RIF with XML
>> Schema list datatypes. In other words, we would like to have some RIF
>> constants as instances of some XML Schema list datatypes. To do this, we
>> can extend the current concrete syntax for Const
>>
>> Const  ::= CONSTNAME | '"'CONSTNAME'"''^^'SORTNAME
>>
>> into the following form:
>>
>> Const  ::= CONSTNAME | '"'CONSTNAME'"''^^'SORTNAME |
>> '"'LEXICAL-FORM'"''^^'LIST-DATATYPES
>>
>> Note that LEXICAL-FORM allows space. Here is an example list constant
>> (from [3]): Given the following XMLS list datatype sizes,
>>
>> <simpleType name='sizes'>
>>   <list itemType='decimal'/>
>> </simpleType>
>>
>> we can have the following list constant:
>>
>> <cerealSizes xsi:type='sizes'> 8 10.5 12 </cerealSizes>.
>>
>> In RIF concrete syntax, it is written as
>>
>> "8 10.5 12"^^sizes.
>
> Makes sense.

:-)

>> The list constant can be translated into RDF as follows:
>>
>> _:1 rdf:first "8"^^xsd:decimal .
>>
>> _:1 rdf:rest _:2 .
>> _:2 rdf:first "10.5"^^xsd:decimal .
>> _:2 rdf:rest _:3 .
>> _:3 rdf:first "12"^^xsd:decimal .
>> _:3 rdf:rest rdf:nil .
>>
>> Note that xsd:decimal is the itemType for the list datatype sizes.
>
> Agreed that it can be. Do you propose that this translation be part of
> the RIF specification, so that XML lists are accessed by RIF rules as
> if they were RDF lists?

The translation could be part of the RIF specification, so that XML
lists are accessible by RIF rules in a way that is compatible with RDF
lists.

> Another possibility, analogous to the lists discussion, might be to
> have sequences as an opaque type supporting the XPath Functions and
> Operators sequence functions [1].

I am not yet convinced about this, as RIF "Core" already allows
variables in list, as mentioned by my earlier email.

Greetings,
Jeff

--

Dr. Jeff Z. Pan (http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~jpan/)
Department of Computing Science, The University of Aberdeen