Re: [UCR] Action 9 and discussion of UCs

Christian de Sainte Marie wrote:

> All,
>
> I created a wiki page to discuss UC1 [1] in which I clarify how I use
> terms like 'consumer', 'producer' etc (or so I hope). This should close
> action 9 (http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/track/actions/9).

In there you have the comment:

"Nothing in the use case motivates the "XML data" (whatever it means)
nor "XML types" requirements: their respective applications interchange
data as XML documents, but that tells us nothing about how they process
the data they interchange."

Is that really true? Surely the exchange only works if the expressions
within the exchanged rules which are expressions over data values are
linked to the XML format in which the data is being exchanged?

Sure the run time processing might be over some arbitrary datastructure
and the translator needs to translate the data-access parts of the rules
to match that datastructure. However, as far as the interchange process
is concerned the rules are specified in terms of some agreed exchange
data model which seem to be XML in your case (though of course it could
be RDF :-)).