Re: A proposal for a unitary RIF phase 1

From: Chris Welty <cawelty@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: A proposal for a unitary RIF phase 1
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 09:06:49 -0400

> Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> >     A Proposal for a Unitary Language for RIF Phase 1
>
> There are many communities in the RIF WG, I'm not sure everyone knows,
> or has the same definition for, what unitary means.  Do you intend here
> anything more than RIF I will not admit infinite sentences?

>From http://www.wordreference.com/definition/unitary:

unitary
A	adjective
  1	unitary
		characterized by or constituting a form of government in
		which power is held by one central authority; "a unitary as
		opposed to a federal form of government"

  2	one(a), unitary
		having the indivisible character of a unit;
		"a unitary action"; "spoke with one voice"

  3	unitary
		of or pertaining to or involving the use of units; "a
		unitary method was applied"; "established a unitary
		distance on which to base subsequent calculations"

  4	unitary
		relating to or characterized by or aiming toward unity;
		"the unitary principles of nationalism"; "a unitary
		movement in politics"

Recent comments in the working group notwithstanding, I'm not referring to
anything political here.  I'm also not referring to anything related to
units, so that leaves definition 2.

The proposal is "unitary" because it speaks (technically) with one voice.

I don't see the connection between "unitary" and "no infinite sentences".

[... Other responses coming later ...]

Peter F. Patel-Schneider