RE: [UCR] The Use Case previously known as publication

Hi Chris,

> The word "intensional" is being used in a way that I am
> unfamiliar with.  The text seems to imply that intensional ==
> implicit (which is isn't), and is contrasted with "factual"
> which is equated with "extensional" (which it also isn't).

The use case is heavily based on Axel's
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/UCR/Candidate_Use_Cases_for_2nd_Dra
ft/PublicationAlternative

and the intensional vs. extensional distinction came from there. Axel
explained it in an earlier email as:

  This goes along with the notion in deductive databases to distinguish
  between extensional (facts) and intensional (rules) knowledge.

> The text also seems to imply that e.g. "Every science fiction
> movie is a movie" is implicit and intensional - but the mere
> fact of saying it makes it explicit, so I'm really not sure
> what you mean.

Well, "Every science fiction movie is a movie" *is* implicit, until
being made explicit by rules...

> Unless I'm missing something, this does not correspond to any
> meaning I know, or can find, of intensional (or extensional,
> for that matter).  I don't think "intensional" or "implicit"
> is what you want here, so I suggest not confusing a reader
> with obscure terminology that is used incorrectly.

Whether used correctly or not, I agree that it's probably not necessary
to the use case.

> To be constructive, how about something like, "Publishing
> rules for interlinked metadata"

I'd be fine with this, but let's see what Axel has to say.

David